Saturday, March 26, 2011

Drilling holes in ice


"It may sound simple – drilling holes in ice. It’s a relatively soft material, not like rock or metal after all. But there is a science and an art to drilling, in a material that is constantly changing from location to location, and from year to year and season to season"
Zoe Courville

So yesterday's adventure involved heading out to Ramsay Lake to drill a few holes in the lake ice. It's been almost a year since the last time we found ourselves at this task but sure enough it is kind of like riding a bike... I did ponder briefly how long I've been drilling holes in ice for science and was frightened to realize that it's probably 20 years in a month or two. Then I digressed to ponder how many holes in ice that I might have been drilled and figured it must be somewhere in the three thousands (and a good portion of them by hand auger not with the gas power auger)....

Anyway, here's to beautiful days for doing science in the field on a Friday afternoon. I hope your Friday was just as good.



We are still trying to figure out how to work the panoramic setting but here is Kat's artistic rendition....




And for those interested.... the depth of ice was about 124 cm and mostly black ice with about 15 cm of snow on the top....

No comments:

Post a Comment