It is true, while other people across Canada are putting on shorts for the first time, prepping their gardens, pulling out their bicycles and sitting on patios…..we are STILL snowmobiling. It actually isn’t that bad. In many ways I’m glad that Churchill lets us keep the snow for extra time each spring because really, this is the nicest time of year for travelling on the land and it is BUG FREE!!!
It is truly a Canadian thing to travel by any kind of snowmachine….it ranks right up there with maple syrup, Molson products and apologizing for everything. For this reason, I couldn’t say no to the opportunity to travel into Wapusk National Park in a real Bombadier last week.
My first ever Bombadier trip was fairly uneventful (which in terms of hauling freight is a good thing!). We bumped our way along the trail to Nester 1 camp in the sunshine. The trail was becoming softer and softer as temperatures rose to around -2 degrees, while being chased by what looked like snowstorm clouds. When we arrived at the fuel cache, we were greeted by a grey-phased Gyr Falcon and a Raven who were having a heated battle over food or territory (who can really be sure!). It did get cloudy and snow on us, but only for about 10 minutes and then it got sunny again. How lucky!!
After some fuel barrel rolling and a picnic inside the Bombardier, the day was over and I swapped seats with LeeAnn and rode a snowmobile back to the CNSC. While out there by myself in Wapusk I couldn't help but think about how much I love spring here on the coast of Hudson Bay.... especially when the sun is shining, the wind is on my face (my actual face and not a balaclava) and I'm being carried across the land to the hum of a snow machine.
Here's a quick look at the current weather forecast for this week! Things are still looking lots like winter up here for now.

~ Carley
No comments:
Post a Comment