~ No Regrets, Robbie Williams
It really has been a blast! I can remember crystal clear the first day I stepped off the train in Churchill to find LeeAnn and Carley waiting to pick me up and bring me out to the CNSC. I was a super young 18 year old with absolutely no field experience and only 1 year of university under my belt but apparently I sold myself during the interview and something inspired LeeAnn and Carley to take me on as the summer tech. Maybe it was the fact that I already knew how to shoot a gun or wasn’t afraid of bugs but regardless within 2 weeks of having an interview I was on a train to Churchill wondering what the heck I was getting myself into. I haven’t looked back since.
I learned more in that first summer of 2007 about science and life than I received from any schooling prior to that (not a knock on all my previous professors). I’d like to think I matured drastically that summer (I know my liver did) but that’s just my guess.
Churchill and the CNSC set off something inside of me because when September rolled around and LeeAnn asked if I’d like to come back in 2008, there was no hesitation to say yes. After that I returned again in 2009 for the summer and got the offer I was hoping for - the CNSC asked me if I wanted to stay past September and work into the fall and winter. I once again accepted the offer without hesitation and settled right in, leaving only for the summer and fall of 2010 to complete the necessary courses at Trent to get my degree. I was back up in a heartbeat after that and never had any regrets.
However, as always there are times in life where you need to experience what else there is to offer. It is on that concept that I bid adieu to the CNSC to see what else the world has for me. It was a very difficult decision for me to make, the North has stolen my heart and so has the CNSC.
I’ve met so many amazing people over the past 5 years, and learned so much - whether it be scientific or life skills. I have countless memories of bonfires and cabin parties, scientific excursions (drilling sea ice on the Hudson Bay in +20 oC sunshine anyone? or how about carrying giant heavy batteries (120 lbs.) through a fen?). There were some stressful times (usually involving everyones favourite big white furry things) but upon looking back, they were all great experiences. I got to hone my problem-solving skills and create innovative ways to help researchers make their goals a reality and their equipment work in some less then ideal conditions.
I would like to thank everyone at the CNSC, past and present, for making the experience enjoyable and the CNSC a home away from home. I would also like to extend huge gratitude to LeeAnn and Carley for putting up with a rookie teenager that first summer and teaching me the ropes - I had the time of my life doing working alongside the two of you that will never be forgotten. I would also like to thank Mike for resigning my contract year after year even though I’m sure sometimes he thought we were right nuts - we do after all have a gong!
As for the many researchers I’ve met, I will remember you all. Great times were had and I’m sure I will continue to see many of you in the future.
Love (or something along those lines), Kat
“A memory is a way of holding onto things you love, the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.” - The Wonder Years
An additional note by LeeAnn:
Kat will be missed and added to ever-growing list of LASS members out there adventuring the world around them. Just remember Kat... "you can lift the whole garage". Thanks always.
Here's a few photos from along the 5 year path...










No comments:
Post a Comment