Yesterday I had an interview with a Channel One film crew who are filming a broadcast for teenagers in the high schools and middle schools in the US. While most film crews want to see polar bears and talk about the impact of climate change on these charismatic megafauna, I decided to try to catch a few of the smaller critters out there and talk about climate change impacts from a different angle. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to get but I put 4 bottle traps into Rocket Pond at about 11 am. By 2 pm when we went by with the film crew, there were almost 40 stickleback fish hanging out in the traps. I wasn't really surprised they were there as we had been trapping them a few weeks ago with an Earthwatch time but I was surprised that there were so many so quickly! So... the fish are out there hanging about in those shallow water bodies and it gave me a great opportunity to talk about climate change impacts on subarctic wetlands.... and perhaps less charismatic fauna but they were thrilled to hear a different angle on climate change.
Here's a couple of photographs of the wetlands taken this morning from the CNSC roof.


With some impending snow in the forecast, we spent today gathering up some of the equipment that is better off not frozen in the field for the winter. It will probably be a few days before there is ice around but better safe than sorry.

Here's a couple photographs of the equipment at Golf Lake by the gun range and of Left Pond near the Tundra Buggy launch.


Because I'm a curious scientist I had Krista take a photograph of Birch Pond today when she was out that way today. A few of you folks out there will know that this pond was dry earlier this summer.

Here's a few photographs of the current progress on the new building.

No comments:
Post a Comment