Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What’s your favourite periodic element?



I choose Boron!

Basler gets Cesium (if you know Carley I think you can figure out how it would be pronounced).

LeeAnn owns Helium.

Busy times have begun to descend on the CNSC staff, even if the summer researchers haven’t started arriving yet. This week saw the last of our winter snow researchers depart which corresponds nicely with a loss of more snow. The weather has been beautiful lately, especially last Saturday where we reached a high of +13 and sunny! Although it’s not spring yet as the forecast is saying a return to -10 for Thursday. It has still been dipping down to below zero at night so there is still a fair amount of snow out on the land, even if it is a bit patchy on the tundra.

Here's the photo comparison: Saturday, April 17 at about 4:00 pm in the afternoon

Below: Wednesday, April 21 at 4:00 pm



As LeeAnn eluded to in the last post, we have been busy preparing the lab for the summer arrivals, and with the loss of a bit of space in the back lab it is taking a bit of creative arranging on Carley, LeeAnn and I’s behalf. The first step taken was to get rid of all the old chemicals that have been hanging out here forever (I do believe some might have even dated back to rocket range times but I wasn’t about to open them and check if they were still good). To help out with safely (and legally) disposing the chemicals we teamed up with a Winnipeg company called Clean Harbours that made it possible to package everything up and send it via Gardewine to Clean Harbours in Winnipeg for proper disposal. Oh the fun of navigating hazardous waste management, transfer and disposal.... There's a few photos below of the drums and packaging of the CNSC and friends chemical inventory ready for departure.





- Katrina






No comments:

Post a Comment