It is rare that I make it down to Goose Creek - all the way down that is, but last night after dinner Matt and I went for a little birding cruise to see what we could see. We were also curious to see the new bridge and culverts that have recently been installed down there. All along the Goose Creek Road the puddles and flooded bits were full of Canada geese, pintail ducks and mallard ducks. There were even some Northern Shovelers and Teals.... but I'd have to say the highlight of the night was the three Otters that we spotted at the Marina. They were swimming in the current, presumably fishing for food and were pretty funny to watch. They make a hilarious noise that sort of reminds me of my monkeys at home.
Just in case you were doubting the post from last night, here is the forecast from this morning...
The other interesting news from yesterday is MTS Allstream Inc. has expanded its CDMA wireless network bringing coverage to Churchill. This means that there is coverage for some cell phones now in Churchill. We'll keep you posted on the coverage as we investigate how large the range is but it appears that there is reception all the way out to the Centre from Churchill but that the Centre might be close to the limit of the range of coverage.
Jolene and I were successful in getting mobile service at the fen today ... not from the gound but from the top of the 15 foot scaffold.
ReplyDeleteNow I say this ... but to all of you that do work out at the fen, please do NOT use our scaffold while out in the field for personal phone calls home... our instruments are highly sensitive to disturbances! Thanks in advance!